Subject: xscreensaver not working?
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 09:48:25
Hey, all,

I posted about this a while back on tech-pkg(?  Or was it here?).
In any case, apologies in advance for the waste of (more) bandwidth.

I'm running xscreensaver (built from pkgsrc just imported this morning).
It is installed suid, presumably so that it can look up passwords when
it runs.  Upon analysis, it supposedly grabs the root entry and the user's
entry from the master.passwd map (for the encrypted passwords, of course),
after which point it closes the references (if needed) and forfeits
privileged mode.

When the user screen comes up, the username field is pre-filled with
either the user's numeric UID or a "+".

My /etc/nsswitch.conf is as follows (YES, I use NIS -- no flames,
please.  I'm trying to learn LDAP.):
=== /etc/nsswitch.conf
#	$NetBSD: nsswitch.conf,v 1.5 1999/10/24 12:36:52 lukem Exp $
#
# nsswitch.conf(5) -
#	name service switch configuration file
#

# These are the defaults in libc
#
group:		files
group_compat:	nis
hosts:		files dns
netgroup:	files nis
networks:	files
passwd:		compat
passwd_compat:	nis
shells:		files
aliases:	files nis

# List of supported sources for each database
#
# group:		compat, dns, files, nis
# group_compat:		dns, nis
# hosts:		dns, files, nis
# netgroup:		files, nis
# networks:		dns, files, nis
# passwd:		compat, dns, files, nis
# passwd_compat:	dns, nis
# shells:		dns, files, nis
=== END /etc/nsswitch.conf

What appears to be happening is that, despite the fact that it already
has the passwd entry, it wants to go get it again.  Is anyone else
experiencing such behaviour?  I'm not sure where to send this.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD. Not Guano.