Subject: Re: single user mode file comparisons
To: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 09:25:59
Thus spake Rafal Boni ("RB> ") sometime Today...

RB> Actually, the goop that makes an MFS'ed /dev (in the case you don't
RB> have one on disk) uses chown, because the MAKEDEV script does.  If
RB> we had a devfs, I would imagine we'd also need something to set the
RB> perms and ownerships of the device nodes...

What we'd need is some sort of configuration file that we could let the
devfs look at when starting up.  Someone might, for example, have per-
missions on disks just slightly different, or they might change them
after the system comes up.

One would hopefully not need to change them manually after every reboot.

ttys likewise.

ptys should just out-and-out get reset since they're soft entities over
the life of a boot.

[MAKEDEV question:  Why are /dev/*cd* set up with mode 640?  I'd think,
 given what one needs to do with the things, they'd at least be mode 660.]

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: safe ports in a storm.