Subject: Re: single user mode file comparisons
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 12:07:34
In message <11054.1055163142@munnari.OZ.AU>, you write:

->     Date:        Sun, 08 Jun 2003 18:14:07 -0400
->     From:        William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
->     Message-ID:  <3EE3B521.6A302CAB@greendragon.com>
->
->   | Of these, chgrp is in /rescue, and required for /bin by FHS.
->
-> I cannot imagine anything which I would ever need to chgrp or chown
-> during system startup which didn't qualify as a system rescue, so no,
-> they don't belong.

Actually, the goop that makes an MFS'ed /dev (in the case you don't
have one on disk) uses chown, because the MAKEDEV script does.  If
we had a devfs, I would imagine we'd also need something to set the
perms and ownerships of the device nodes...

Other than that, I'm in complete agreement.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill