Subject: Re: consensus on systinst partitioning
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 17:32:26
> Subject: consensus on systinst partitioning
>
> It appears that the group has reached consensus on the questions asked
> about the direction of systinst partitioning.
>
>  #1 some believe that one important method is a swap and a single
>     large partition.  Three label examples were proposed:
>       a) workstation (single user)
>          Default layout (best for first-time users)
>          Monolithic

please not "workstation".

monolithic looks best, default layout OK too.

but "workstation" sounds like redhat linux installators.

why not just "One data+one swap"

>  #2 many believe that one important method is divided partitions, with
>     /tmp, /var, /usr, /usr/local, /usr/pkg, and /home, each in a
>     separate partition.  Two label examples were proposed:
>       b) server
>          Advanced layout (asks questions to determine best layout)

Advanced layout or "many partitions".

>  #3 there is little support for a third method.  Instead, both of the
>     above methods should display the resulting layout and allow
>     custom modification of the underlying default.
>
>  #4 systinst should always display the commands that are being
>     executed.  Before each step, systinst should display text
>     explaining the next steps.  The current text needs updating.

3 and 4 - agree.

what's nice in NetBSD - contrary to commercial linux distros and many
commercial unices - is not preventing novices from learning
(=understanding what actually happens).

So showing what exactly happen is important.

so please no menu titles like "workstation" or "server" as it doesn't
explain partitioning but just typical use of machine...

> It appears to me that we should let the fellow take the consensus, and
> chose his own labels, and write his own text.  After all, he's doing the
> work!  We can modify the result after we've seen the concrete details.

exactly.