Subject: Re: monolithic roots (Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code)
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: leam <leam@reuel.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2003 06:20:45
Martin Husemann wrote:
> Extend this to the choice of using sysinst or not.
>

>>and sysinst isn't much useful anyway.
>

> To you. But to someone who only did install windows before, doing a manual
> NetBSD install is no good advice - no matter how much docs we'd put up on
> the web for this.
>
> Martin

Agreed, even for those of us coming froma SysV/Linux background. Using
sysinst tells me the NetBSD community thinks enough about bringing in
new members to make it easier for them.

Also, having muddled through some of the NetBSD documentation, I
wouldn't put much stock in its being useful as a recreuting or teaching
tool. It seems to cross-reference itself a lot, misses out on the intro
stuff, and jumps into the gory details without ever bothering to explain
how those tools are used.

sysinst seems like a great, useful, idea that needs some improvment.

ciao!

leam