Subject: Re: HEADS-UP: Perl programmer wanted to fix "xsrc" problem
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/2003 12:58:26
[ On Sunday, June 8, 2003 at 08:59:05 (+0200), Matthias Scheler wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS-UP: Perl programmer wanted to fix "xsrc" problem
>
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 03:50:03PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> > >I'm therefor searching for a volunteer to rewite the Perl script
> > >"xfree/xc/fonts/util/ucs2any.pl" into a C program.
> > How about sh/awk/sed?
>
> Rewriting it as a shell script would probably cause a performance degradation.

Maybe, but probably not as 'awk' (at least so long as gawk isn't used :-)

I didn't think this script was used at run time, but only as a utility
to re-encode fonts and then store the results for use at run time;
especially given the comment inside it which suggests that eventually it
will be redundant when (to paraphrase) "a future server release will
reencode on the fly because _storing_ the same fonts in many different
encodings is clearly a waste of storage capacity."

--
								Greg A. Woods