Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2003 23:14:28
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> > GAW> Remember we are very explicitly _NOT_ talking about /var, /home, /tmp,
GAW> > GAW> or even necessarily /usr/src or /usr/pkgsrc or /usr/pkg or /usr/local.
GAW> >
GAW> > Actually, that might be what you are thinking.
GAW>
GAW> It's not just what I'm thinking, it's what David has effectively done.

Man, you have the way of twisting words to suit your purpose.  Either
that, or you're being patently obtuse.  I was referring to the discussion,
not the implementation.

GAW> >   I've actually been trying
GAW> > to point out why an all-encompassing root filesystem is a bad idea.
GAW>
GAW> Yeah, sure, but that's just F.U.D. here in this discussion because it is
GAW> drastically mis-representing the actual issue here.  Nobody (as far as I
GAW> can tell) is arguing for having only one all-encompassing root
GAW> filesystem -- quite the contrary!  However you are still arguing against
GAW> not having a separate /usr filesystem instead of arguing only for having
GAW> separate /var, /tmp, and /home filesystems by default, and maybe
GAW> /usr/pkg and other filesystems as appropriate as well.  Those are two
GAW> very different arguments with very different consequences.
GAW> Unfortunately you are also using the reasons for the latter as your
GAW> reasons for the former even though they are totally inapplicable.  Your
GAW> reasons are _ONLY_ valid for having other separate filesystems, such as
GAW> /var, /tmp, and /home; and they are _NOT_ valid at all for /usr (at
GAW> least not as it is defined in hier(7) on NetBSD).

You're still not listening.  Your opinion is still based on the fact that
you are considering your opinion to be an absolute correct viewpoint.
It's not.  Get over it.  Not everyone is going to see it your way.
I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me, not in the least.

I've stated my viewpoint as an opinion, I've given my reasons, and I will
again, one LAST time, state that your viewpoint is no more or less valid
than mine on this subject, and mine is no more or less valid than any
other educated individual's on this subject.

With that, much to everyone else's relief, I'm sure, I'm done with this,
and I strongly suggest you drop the issue at this point, because your
righteous attitude of saying that "My way is right, and yours is FUD and
disparaging and baseless and irrelevant and invalid" has transcended
irritation to the point of annoyance.

That said, I don't pretend not to have annoyed anyone ELSE around
here, and I hereby submit my apologies for having wasted the bandwidth.

If anyone ELSE has anything constructive to say about this (not
necessarily in agreement with my POV), I'd like to hear it.

Profuse apologies, again, for having wasted the bandwidth.

				--*greywolf;
--
"Never mind the bollocks, here's NetBSD!"