Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2003 22:06:33
[ On Friday, June 6, 2003 at 16:49:19 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
>
> GAW> Remember we are very explicitly _NOT_ talking about /var, /home, /tmp,
> GAW> or even necessarily /usr/src or /usr/pkgsrc or /usr/pkg or /usr/local.
>
> Actually, that might be what you are thinking.

It's not just what I'm thinking, it's what David has effectively done.

>   I've actually been trying
> to point out why an all-encompassing root filesystem is a bad idea.

Yeah, sure, but that's just F.U.D. here in this discussion because it is
drastically mis-representing the actual issue here.  Nobody (as far as I
can tell) is arguing for having only one all-encompassing root
filesystem -- quite the contrary!  However you are still arguing against
not having a separate /usr filesystem instead of arguing only for having
separate /var, /tmp, and /home filesystems by default, and maybe
/usr/pkg and other filesystems as appropriate as well.  Those are two
very different arguments with very different consequences.
Unfortunately you are also using the reasons for the latter as your
reasons for the former even though they are totally inapplicable.  Your
reasons are _ONLY_ valid for having other separate filesystems, such as
/var, /tmp, and /home; and they are _NOT_ valid at all for /usr (at
least not as it is defined in hier(7) on NetBSD).

--
								Greg A. Woods