Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2003 16:49:19
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> You have just again used a blatantly misleading example to spread F.U.D.
GAW> You are mis-representing the issues here.
GAW>
GAW> You are assuming that including the base OS /usr components on the root
GAW> filesystem implies all the other strange and wonderful and stupid things
GAW> that you and others have been spreading F.U.D. about.
GAW>
GAW> In fact putting the base OS /usr components on the root filesystem has
GAW> NOTHING whatosever at all to do with any of the other F.U.D. you and
GAW> others have been bandying about.
GAW>
GAW> Now please try to get this very simple fact straight in your head before
GAW> you go on trying to spread more F.U.D. about including the base OS /usr
GAW> components on the root filesystem!

Greg, pure and simple:  The people who don't want them have their own
reasons.  You are not going to magically convince those of us who disagree
with you that you are correct and we are "wrong".  It boils down to a
personal preference that I think you are taking farther than I into a
state of religion at this point.  I've at least admitted that it is semi-
reasonable to do so, although I do not plan to make my system so.

GAW> Remember we are very explicitly _NOT_ talking about /var, /home, /tmp,
GAW> or even necessarily /usr/src or /usr/pkgsrc or /usr/pkg or /usr/local.

Actually, that might be what you are thinking.   I've actually been trying
to point out why an all-encompassing root filesystem is a bad idea.  Why
you are dredging it up to be a root-includes-usr debate AGAIN is beyond
me.

GAW> Changing the default install to not include a /usr filesystem involves
GAW> _ONLY_ those base OS components which reside under the /usr hierarchy.
GAW> Nothing more is implied.  All the arguments you and others have tried to
GAW> use to complain about this are either completely baseless, blatantly
GAW> incorrect, or disparaging of other systems for all the wrong reasons.

They are baseless and incorrect _according_ _to_ _YOU_.  Last I knew, you
were not elected God of Technology or any other such thing.  For you to
tell me that they are absolutely baseless and absolutely incorrect is
so presumptuous as to be beyond rude, because they are obviously not
baseless or incorrect to quite a few other knowledgeable people.
You have an opinion which we are

GAW> I believe you do have the right ideas about why separate filesystems are
GAW> beneficial when implemented appropriately so now please try to use that
GAW> knowledge rationally and without making assumptions which do not apply.

I am not trying to convince you that you are wrong in your belief.
I would ask respectfully that you grant the same courtesy to those
whose opinions differ from yours.  You're not *wrong*, Greg, any more
than you are *right*.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: For The Network Generation