Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/2003 15:14:59
[ On Friday, June 6, 2003 at 12:28:44 (-0400), Chuck Yerkes wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
>
> I forgot one: bad crash.  if /usr is mounted ro, we don't
> have to worry about fsck.  If / is RW, but only 80MB, fsck
> takes a moment.  And I don't worry about /lost+found filling
> up with much of /usr.

That's all very irrelevant.  F.U.D. in fact.  If your system suffers a
bad crash then system related things will get messed up no matter where
they are and they will have to be fixed before you can use the system
properly again.

> No, it doesn't.  USERS may do that, but if /, /usr, & /var
> are separate, when /home fills up I know where to look.  When
> /usr gets huge, I know where to look *and* it's sometimes a
> reason for concern.

That has _NOTHING_ to do with /usr being on the root filesystem.

The inclusion of /usr on the root filesystem does not by itself leave
any more user-writable files or directories on the root filesystem than
would be there otherwise.

Please don't try so hard to twist things around and make it appear that
completely unrelated issues are caused by including /usr on the root
filesystem when they are clearly not.

> But with monolithic /, I first may not notice 12 core files in /.

Again, that is simply not possible if you've configured the _rest_ of
your system properly.

Please do not try so hard to mis-represent this issue!

--
								Greg A. Woods