Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: Phil Nelson <philnelson@attbi.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2003 23:54:19
Thus spake Phil Nelson ("PN> ") sometime Today...

PN> Also, there were several considerations to the size of /var that need to be
PN> addressed.  First, if one wants to save any crash information, it goes in
PN> /var/crash and that was part of the reason for having / being 2xRAM +
PN> some size so that at least 2 crash dumps could be put on /var/crash without
PN> running out or disk space.   If /var/crash is smaller than RAM, you can't
PN> save a full crash dump.  Also, I believe that if swap is smaller than RAM you
PN> can't get a crash dump either.

/var/crash can be either symlinked, or the value can be tweaked in rc.conf
to point the savecore to a different location, while the dump partition
needs to be sizeof(physmem) or you won't have anything to savecore.

PN> So it is possible that sysinst should ask a series of questions about the
PN> machine and intended use that dictates a default partitioning.

This makes the most sense to me...

				--*greywolf;
--
Microshaft:  Where do you want to crash today?