Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: current-users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: leam <leam@reuel.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/2003 06:26:33
David Laight wrote:
>>We shouldn't even be THINKING about determining partition sizes
>>in autoconf mode until we have determined what we're installing.
>

> Probably true - Maybe the build system could work out the size of
> each set so sysinst could get the right answers for the sizes!
>
> However I'd not dug that deep.  It has taken me a week to get
> most of the architecture replicated stuff consolidated (please don't
> just copy a file to make a 1 line change.....)
>

>>At the minimum, we should have /, /var, /usr and swap; anything
>>left over goes to a hog (/export)?  OR have I been spoiled by Sunisms
>>over the years?  It works, nonetheless.
>

> When did /export come along? not than long ago.  home directories used to
> go in /home (actually I suspect into /usr longer ago) before moving
> to /export/home.
>
> To have separate /var and /usr you need to know what the system will
> be used for.  This can only be known by the person installing it.
>
> If you actually run the code, you'll see that I've really merged
> 'custom' with the other options (I should probably delete custom)
> so you always get to choose your file system sizes.
>

>>/var doesn't get that big?  Hm.  Where's db/pkg live?
>

> $ du -s /var
> 1200102 /var
> $
>

>>I still don't think consolidating / and /usr or, more especially, / and
>>/var is a particularly bright idea.
>

> /var (and /home) have not been separated by default (at least on i386).
> To someone who is installing for the first time 'all the space in one fs'
> will make them less unhappy later on.
>
> 	David

My /var on a fairly unused system is about 3 meg. I was going to talk
about the rest of the system, but if I do a dk -k it hangs. When I did a
df on each individual partition they were fine. Odd.

Anyway, I have about a gig each for / and /var, used at 9% and 0%
respectively. /usr is 5.7G with ~2G used.

I like to seperate /var and /export/home because those things can get
unruly if you have a mis-behaved application or programmer. It helps
protect the / partition.

That said as I start a new OS I make few partitions and see how big they
get, then when I re-build I have a better idea.

ciao!

leam