Subject: Re: Rototil of sysinst partitioning code
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2003 21:54:24
On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 01:34:42PM -0700, collver1@attbi.com wrote:
> Just a quick and unimportant comment:
>
> Under the old default with a small / and a large /usr, it had the
> side-effect of working around BIOS IDE addressing limitations on old PC's.
> The kernel would get placed in / which happened to be near enough to the
> beginning of the disk that it could be bootstrapped.

Actually sysinst was completly borked in that area, it wouldn't always
let you assign any of the disk above the CHS limit to the netbsd partition.

But you have reminded me that I was going to let the MD code pass in an
upper limit for the root filesystem.  This would enforce another filesystem
(probably defaulting to /usr) to be used for excess space.

I've also just done an i386 install without X.  root has 16MB and /usr
140MB used - so I suspect the default size fir /usr is too small.
(the main culprit seems to be man pages!)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk