Subject: Re: Using build.sh, a question
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2003 11:54:26
 Ar an 4ú lá de mí 6, scríobh Luke Mewburn :

 > On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 08:26:58AM +0100, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
 >   |  > (I program (POSIX) sh but I use tcsh interactively.)
 >   | The tcsh on this machine doesn't support it. Try zsh.
 >
 > I was only asking about the feature from a curiosity point of view,
 > and not because I had any requirement to change my interactive shell
 > at this point.

Okay. As someone pointed out, it is a ksh-ism, so it's entirely reasonable
that tcsh doesn't support it. I suggested zsh because it's probably going to
be the more comfortable of the shells that do support it for a tcsh user to
use; if you are comfortable with the tcsh, and have no great need for this
feature, then good for you :-)

 > FWIW, the first time a z(sh)ealot tried to get all ``I'm cooler than
 > you because I use zsh which is a superior shell to yours because it
 > has feature XXX'' on me I hacked said feature into tcsh in about 10
 > minutes...  :-)

Well done. As a personal opinion, I think the Z shell is the best out
there. It is not, however, going to cure any BO problems, improve your
social skills or write brilliant C code when idle so you don't have to. It's
a Unix shell, and it's going to make your life 0.00001% better if you're
lucky.

OTOH, not having to hack something in and try to get it included with the
standard distribution so you don't have to copy it everywhere--having it
Just Work--makes a difference to me.

 > Speaking of which, it shouldn't be too hard to hack "cd src obj" in tcsh.

I'm sure it shouldn't be.

 > (Actually, I do miss separate stderr/stdout redirection and multi-line
 > editing in tcsh, but that's about it.).

Why did you change to tcsh, as a matter of interest?

--
Parhásárd; rex quondam Pokémonorum, rex futuram Pokémonorum.