Subject: spurious segfault (libpthread problem)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Rauch <mrauch@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/2003 21:51:12
Hi,

I've discovered today that a program that would run fine beforehand starts
segfaulting when I add our new native libpthread to the list of libraries
that are linked in.

I was able to boil the problem down to this C program:
---- gendict.c ----
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
	int i;
	int charArray[0x10000];
	for (i = 0; i < 0x10000; i++) {
		charArray[i] = 0;
	}
	return 0;
}       // End of main
---- ----

Compiling the code as
 /usr/bin/gcc -o test2 gendict.c
results in a correctly running binary. But if I additionally link in
libpthread.so with
 /usr/bin/gcc -o test2 -lpthread gendict.c
the program dies with a segmentation fault in the for-loop at i=1545 in the
line "charArray[i]=0".

Am I doing something wrong or should this segfault really not happen?

My system:
NetBSD zonk 1.6S NetBSD 1.6S (ZONK) #0: Sun May 11 17:34:02 CEST 2003
root@zonk:/usr/src/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ZONK i386
(sources from a few hours earlier)

Michael