Subject: Re: cvs again
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2003 11:16:03
--//h4sZKAxcnndsN6

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 03:01:18AM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Thor Lancelot Simon said:
> >
> > > CVSROOT=3Danoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
> > > CVS_RSH=3Dssh
> >
> > Why do you expect this to work?  How do you expect a cvs client
> > running *on the anoncvs server* to write your local filesystem?
>=20
> I was making a stab in the dark since all that www.netbsd.org says is
> to set the two variables above and then do it just like the pserver
> method.  Tried various ways of logging in, mostly with useless error
> messages from anoncvs.
>=20
> In the end I found that I could only make the pserver method work if I
> used sh, although I've always done it with csh. I have no idea how ssh
> could be used to get sources from anoncvs.

the quoted part above is correct, the other part which you removed is
wrong:

> wolf# pwd
> /usr
> wolf# ssh anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org cvs update -d -P src

the latest command means that you are trying to make a ssh connection to
anoncvs.netbsd.org and executing "cvs update -d -P src" command on the
_remote_ machine.

once you have CVS_RSH set to ssh and valid CVSROOT you just use:

  wolf# cvs update -d -P src

that's all.

what happens in reality is that the cvs will make a ssh connection to
the anoncvs server and execute cvs pserver with the given commands.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>                   --