Subject: Re: Running -current.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 05/21/2003 03:59:39
On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 16:43:58 -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:

>  * The laptop is a 233MHz plain Pentium; no speed demon by present
>    standards.  Should I consider building -current daily?

Ny 233MHz Dell (running -current) takes about 8 hours to build the
world, so it's definitely not something you want to do daily.  I
usually rebuild once a month or so, unless I need some particular
userland fix/feature, in which case I just build a relevant subset of
the tree.

>    I understand that the build may break---though if need be I can
>    roll back to 1.6[.1] or a snapshot or the like.

Build to DESTDIR.  If the build breaks - you system is not affected in
any way.  If the build went ok, pax -rwpe the DESTDIR to / and run
etcupdate(8).

>    What's the best way to keep a local hack (yes, my change *IS* a
>    hack, but it makes the driver work for me) in?

Track the tree using cvs(1) from the anoncvs server.  Your local
change will be kept merged automatically when the file is changed
(unless it's in conflict, in which case you'll need to resolve the
conflict manually by editing the file).

>  * A little related to part of the above: The reason that I want to run
>    -current is to do some belated work on window(1).  The hoops to make
>    it all work on a 1.6 system were enough that I just want to put a
>    development system on -current.  So, what's a good way (without my
>    own branch on the repository and without write access to the main
>    branch) to do this?  I'd rather synchronize at least periodically (if
>    not regularly) as opposed to only after making changes.

See my previous comment about cvs(1) vs. local changes.  Since nobody
touches window(1) that often, the chance of a cvs conflict is very
low, I'd say.

SY, Uwe