Subject: Re: Running -current.
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/2003 17:17:40
On Wed, 21 May 2003, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 16:43:58 -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> >  * The laptop is a 233MHz plain Pentium; no speed demon by present
> >    standards.  Should I consider building -current daily?
>
> Ny 233MHz Dell (running -current) takes about 8 hours to build the
> world, so it's definitely not something you want to do daily.  I
> usually rebuild once a month or so, unless I need some particular
> userland fix/feature, in which case I just build a relevant subset of
> the tree.

Note, you can get away with -u "update" builds, so things won't be as
slow. If you run into trouble, just do a full (clean) build.

> >    I understand that the build may break---though if need be I can
> >    roll back to 1.6[.1] or a snapshot or the like.
>
> Build to DESTDIR.  If the build breaks - you system is not affected in
> any way.  If the build went ok, pax -rwpe the DESTDIR to / and run
> etcupdate(8).

Yes, this is what DESTDIRs are for.

I personally build releases, so I have tar balls around. I then install
the new kernel, and untar the tar balls while in single user mode.

I then keep installed sets around, so that if a future update dies, I can
roll back.

> >    What's the best way to keep a local hack (yes, my change *IS* a
> >    hack, but it makes the driver work for me) in?
>
> Track the tree using cvs(1) from the anoncvs server.  Your local
> change will be kept merged automatically when the file is changed
> (unless it's in conflict, in which case you'll need to resolve the
> conflict manually by editing the file).

Right. cvs is your friend.

The one place where this wouldn't work is if you want a log of all of your
own changes too. In that case, you'd need a local repository, and to do
imports of the NetBSD trees. I have scripts somewhere I got ages ago that
do this with a sup tree.

Take care,

Bill