Subject: Re: Layered file system issues - please report
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/2003 18:13:08
On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 03:03:46PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> I'd appreciate it if folks could EMail me any open issues they have with
> layered file systems. I'm especially looking for locking related panics,
> and how unionfs is working. Repeatable test cases are best.
>
> I've always worried about unionfs, and felt its locking botches could
> cause panics. But last time I tried a few make -j 4's, it did fine. I'm
> not certain this means it's fixed, just that I can't get it to break. :-)
>
> I'm aware of the files-not-disapearing-on-delete issue, and that we get
> the use counts wrong for layered device nodes. I'm looking to see if any
> other issues are out there.

I noticed something when having my source tree union mounted: even though
the source tree itself (ie the real files/directories under the union mount)
were all owned by dive, dive could not create files in directories on the
union mount. I didn't investigate it much further because I didn't feel like
having to su to root every time I wanted to stick a file somewhere.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!