Subject: Re: building an embedded NetBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/09/2003 19:35:38
So, like a soekris, CF, 486, multiple interfaces.
I've done it in 4-6MB, I've also got one running
256MB (man pages, X11 and I nfs mount to build - it was
on sale and the way to start a couple years ago).

All a readonly, mfs contains things (via link) like
resolv.conf, dhcpd-leases, /var/run/, /var/tmp, /tmp,
another MFS under /var/named/ is an area to hold secondary zones,
etc etc.

16MB or 32MB give you a fairly robust machine.

You can also poke at the m0n0wall project with has a lovely
thttpd interface (freebsd, reduced, no shells, firewall only).
Take ideas from things an move forward.

Soekris boxes may be the most well known ones from which you
can glean principles.

Quoting Paul Dokas (dokas@cs.umn.edu):