Subject: Re: X security query.
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/2003 09:33:54
 Ar an 6ú lá de mí 5, scríobh Tom Ivar Helbekkmo :

 > Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net> writes:
 >
 > > The xman displays. Wtf? Is this to say, anyone with local access who can
 > > guess the name of my Xauthority file can pop up a window on my $DISPLAY?
 >
 > If they have read access to said .Xauthority file, yes.

This person didn't. Is there anywhere else that security can be turned off?
XDM configuration options?

 > > Okay, so what do I have to do to turn off the ability of any local
 > > user to pop up a window on my display?
 >
 > Nothing, because you already have proper protection of the file:
 >
 > > 9:48PM ~ > ls -l ~aidan/.Xauthority
 > > -rw-------  1 aidan  wheel  0 May  5 20:20 /home/aidan/.Xauthority

Yes, but I also successfully managed to pop up an xman window on my display
as another user with that configuration.

--
"I have heard the swelling cry of the English speaking peoples of the
world, and it tells me their cause is served best by flaming the few