Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.bin/mklocale
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/2003 12:04:40
--Fw50BJRL4GwAnGn1

On Monday,  5 May 2003 at 17:09:23 -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> In message <20030505210424.GB62309@jnelson.aus-ofc.newsstand.com>, Jay Nelson w
> rites:

>>> Says who?
>>
> Styles change.  The copy editor for the second edition of "Firewalls
> and Internet Security" wanted us to include the comma:
>
> 	a, b, and c
>
> in such constructs.  I forget, offhand, which style guide was deemed
> authoritative by Addison-Wesley, but if anyone cares I can look it
> up...

This is a difference between American and English styles.  In America,
the comma is desirable but not essential (Chicaeo Manual of Style,
5.57 et seq).  In other English-speaking countries, it's incorrect
unless its omission would give rise to ambiguity (Commonwealth Style
Manual, 6.54 et seq).

Greg

--Fw50BJRL4GwAnGn1

--Fw50BJRL4GwAnGn1--