Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.bin/mklocale
To: Jay Nelson <jnelson@newsstand.com>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/05/2003 23:08:53
On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 04:04:24PM -0500, Jay Nelson wrote:

> > > But the correct English is 'a, b and c'.....
> >
> > Says who?
>
> Strunk & White.

From http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html (William Strunk, Jr. (1869-1946).  The Elements of Style.  1918.)
   2. In a series of three or more terms with a single conjunction, use a comma after
      each term except the last.
      Thus write,
             | red, white, and blue                                            |
             | honest, energetic, but headstrong                               |
             | He opened the letter, read it, and made a note of its contents. |
      This is also the usage of the Government Printing Office and of the Oxford
      University Press.
      In the names of business firms the last comma is omitted, as
                                | Brown, Shipley and Company |
      The abbreviation etc., even if only a single term comes before it, is always
      preceded by a comma.

So White changed that? [I don't have Strunk&White handy...]
 Thomas