Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.bin/mklocale
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/05/2003 12:44:00
On Mon, 5 May 2003, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> > > } "a, b, and c" instead of "a, b and c".

For years, I was taught in public schools that no comma was needed before
"and". I hated that. But in Journalism school, we were taught to always
include that last comma.

In my old McGraw-Hill Style Manual (1983), it says for series punctuation
(in section 10-5 on page 220):

  A comma is needed for clarity before "and" or "or" in a series of three
  or more items

(my quotes added)

But my old Associated Press Stylebook (1992) says in the punctuation
chapter on page 269:

  Use commands to separate elements in a series, but do not put a comma
  before the conjunction in a simple series ...
  Put the comma before the concluding conjunction in a series, however,
  if an integral element of the series requires a conjunction ...
  Use a comma also before the concluding conjunction in a complex series
  of phrases ...

The AP Guide says to consult the punctuation section in the back of the
Webster's New World Dictionary.

> King's English says "a, b, and c".
>
> 	http://www.bartleby.com/116/402.html

   Jeremy C. Reed