Subject: Re: /usr/bin/which is a csh script!!?!
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2003 03:22:40
On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:57:55AM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> I've been using which(1) (/usr/bin/which) on a daily basis for around
> 23 years. I currently use ksh as my shell. There is no builtin which
> in ksh or sh.

There's no builtin named "which", but there are builtins that perform
the equivalent function--namely "command -v", and ksh's "whence". Of
course, after 23 years, you're probably used to typing "which" :)
Personally, I've been a [t]csh user for about 13 years, and I'm used
to typing "which" too. However, if I switched to ksh, I think I could
retrain myself to use "command -v" instead, although I'd probably do
take the easy way out and do "alias which='command -v'" or
"alias which='whence -v'". The csh limit vs. sh ulimit is confusing
enough already :)

So how do get around the problem of /usr/bin/which not seeing $PATH
modifications you put in your .profile? Just remember to update your
.cshrc too?
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 27 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++