Subject: RE: gigs of XFree86.0.log
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Jonathan Cline <jcline@d2tech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2003 00:09:37
> From: Jeremy C. Reed [mailto:reed@reedmedia.net]
>
> On Thu, 1 May 2003, Jonathan Cline wrote:
>
> > How can I turn off this X log?
>
> Maybe "-logverbose 0"

Yes, I saw that option, but *where* to apply it?
(Recall, this is also for xfce.)
The nearest I'm guessing, without digging into
internals (since I really don't care to),
is that X is spawned from somewhere inside
xinit.  Which, I suppose, means there's some
environment variable which might be set to pass
these args in?

I can only assume that "default of log level 3"
is a bit..  um..  *extreme*.  The uptime of my
session wasn't that long-- maybe 2 weeks?-- and
the log gained maybe 20-50 megs per day? (Based on
my estimate of watching it for half a day.)
This leads me to the ultimate question of why
a /dev/null or default-override solution should
be necessary at all.  Unless there's something
very wrong and the process is screaming for
attention (which it doesn't seem to be).

--JC