Subject: Re: /usr/bin/which is a csh script!!?!
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/2003 22:24:46
On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:33:16PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> no, i meant "csh obviously knows the difference between aliases,
> builtins, and external commands internally, so i wonder what would be
> involved in actually implementing ``which'' as a builtin, and ditching
> which(1) once and for all".

But it's been a csh builtin since the 4.4-Lite merge, over 8 years
ago... I don't see any need for which(1) anymore--it only works
properly for csh-like shells, and those already have a builtin "which."
Other shells have their own way of determining what'll run when you
type a command.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 27 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++