Subject: Re: /usr/bin/which is a csh script!!?!
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Patterson <Ross.Patterson@CatchFS.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/2003 10:25:46
On Wednesday 30 April 2003 07:57 pm, Rick Kelly wrote:
> >If that's the case, shouldn't the script version sleep with the fishes?
>
> Don't think so:
> ... deleted ...
> I type which frequently on various versions of NetBSD and Solaris. If it
> ain't in /usr/bin then it ain't. :-)

No argument from me, I spend a fair amount of time in bash on Linux, and which
works perfectly over there.  But the claim was made that /usr/bin/which
doesn't work 100% for non-csh shells on NetBSD, and that seems to be correct:

	$ uname -mv
	NetBSD 1.6 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Sep  8 19:43:40 UTC 2002
autobuild@tgm.daemon.org:/autobuild/i386/OBJ/autobuild/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
i386
	$ echo $SHELL
	/bin/ksh
	$ which which
	/usr/bin/which
	$ alias
	autoload='typeset -fu'
	... deleted ...
	$ which autoload
	no autoload in /sbin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /bin /usr/pkg/bin
/usr/local/bin
--
Ross A. Patterson
Chief Technology Officer