Subject: Re: fsck_ffs fix
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2003 09:02:04
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:57:34PM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:
  | I just fixed a bug in fsck_ffs that would cause it, when finding a
  | problem and clearing an inode, to clear the next inode as well.
  | I introduced the bug by accidentally reversing an if-else in
  | the UFS2 merge.
  |
  | If the wiped inode happened to allocated, this would cause symptoms
  | like 'bad filedescriptor' errors, when the file was next accessed.
  | This may have gone unnoticed for a while, since fsck would have
  | marked the filesystems clean.

This could explain my lapdog's recent lossage of ~ 20MB of files on an
ffs file system when I was certain that I was running a "good" post-ufs2
kernel + fsck_ffs ...

[ Fortunately, I had been using rdiff-backup to backup my laptop on a
  regular basis, so I just extracted a recent "increment", and used
  "rsync -n" to help me determine what changed.
  mmm, pkgsrc/sysutils/rdiff-backup ]