Subject: Re: NetBSD version naming - suggestion
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/2003 15:58:17
[ On Wednesday, April 23, 2003 at 12:45:28 (-0700), Jeff Rizzo wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: NetBSD version naming - suggestion
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 08:27:17PM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
>
> > And while I'm here, I could just as well say my opinion on this: I think
> > bumbing -current's version to "just_released + 1" is a good idea. So,
> > we'd be now at 1.7R. And I don't think it's a problem if it is not known
> > beforehand what the actual release will be called. If there won't be
> > 1.7, fine. 1.7ZZZA just becomes 2.0 then (and -current 2.1A).
>
> I have to say, though this would confuse _me_ at first, because
> I'm used to the existing scheme

I'm not sure I can see how it could possibly confuse you even though you
are accustomed to the existing scheme.

Heck, I can't even see how it could really confuse anyone even if it
happened right away -- i.e. even if overnight 1.6R became 1.7R.

You might be surprised, if you didn't know it was coming ahead of time,
but logically it would really be no different than 1.6R becoming 1.6S.
It's just an "incremented" value, for some definition of "increment".

(I still think it would be better though to hide this value from
non-developers and to just use dates to identify -current snapshots.)

--
								Greg A. Woods