Subject: Anyone using i386 w/ MSGBUFSIZE > 512K?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Patterson <Ross.Patterson@CatchFS.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/2003 18:07:00
Since upgrading a few systems from 1.5 to 1.6, we're seeing something really
weird - gigantic runs of 0xFF in /var/log/messages.  As best we can figure
out, attempts to read the kernel's message log (via /dev/klog (i.e. syslogd)
and sysctl(KERN_MSGBUF) (i.e. dmesg)) are actually returning these bytes,
about 1.5MB of them in one big chunk.  We run with options
MSGBUFSIZE=2097152, so that leaves 512KB of readable data in the log buffer.

Have we hit some undocumented limit?  "man 4 options" doesn't mention one, and
a day or so of reading things like kern/subr_log.c, arch/i386/i386/machdep.c
and arch/i386/i386/pmap.c haven't done anything except convinced us we don't
know what's going on with the kernel log.  :-)
--
Ross A. Patterson
Chief Technology Officer