Subject: Re: Serial ATA Cards - Follow Up
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/2003 15:20:19
On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 08:37:03AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 11:06  PM, Caffeinate The World wrote:
>
> >What was the work-around? I am thinking of testing it out on a Seagate
> >Barracuda 80 gig (ST380013AS):
>
> From the wd_quirk_table[] in sys/dev/ata/wd.c:
>
>     /*
>      * Some Seagate S-ATA drives have a PHY which can get confused	 *
> with the way data is packetized by some S-ATA controllers.

Has anyone else used a Silicon Image SATA to UDMA/133 converter board?
I'm trying to use one with a Maxtor drive and apparently it never comes
back from reset.  I set the to 71 seconds but it never came back.

I'm wondering if something like Seagate PHY issue might be happening
with the converter/Maxtor combo.  Since I'm assuming that the controller
and converter should work together well since the chips are made by
the same company.

Since this drive is not even probing under NetBSD (but the BIOS finds it)
it doesn't sounds like the same quirk, or that the quirk table will even
help.

Any ideas?  I might have to just buy a SATA drive, but I would like to
just use the converters for the moment.
Thanks.

-Andrew