Subject: Re: anything_with_underscore.com: host not found?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/2003 16:14:42
Quoting Peter Seebach (seebs@plethora.net):
> So, Mozilla and a couple of other programs are consistently failing to look
> up any name with _'s in it.  The most obvious (and topical) example would
> be http://dear_raed.blogspot.com/.  "nslookup" finds it; "ping" doesn't.

You mean hosts that violate the DNS RFCS?

In 95 or so, apple came out with (OS) system 7 (AFAIR).
It's DNS implementation strictly complies with the RFCs.
It didn't support _ in hostnames.

This, of course, caused the Apples to not be able to get
to various Notes servers named ny_foo_bar.sub.example.com.
Names which we told them were BAD names (ny was the subdomain,
so have it in the host) and ILLEGAL names.

So we got to go through with a little sed/awk and rename
everything right with a CNAME.

I'm surprised the blogspot.com's DNS servers don't emit an error.