Subject: Re: Horrible RAIDFrame Crash
To: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
From: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/2003 08:58:41
--- Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > 2. anyway to get the raid to boot again? ie. fix this problem?
> >
> > You *might* be able to get it to light again by removing sd0 from
> the
> > system
> > and booting from sd1.
> >
> > > 3. is this a nasty bug?
> >
> > It sounds more like a read error on sd1a.  (A write error on sd0a
> > shouldn't
> > have caused the "Multiple disks...." error.)  The "louder than
> usual
> > 2 second
> > grinding noise from the HDs" points to a hardware problem.

I unplugged the SCSI connector from sd0 and booted the system up again.
It booted up fine with the failed component errors. So sd1 is fine.

What can I do to further narrow down the problem. Apparantly it's sd0
and it could be during the write process that caused the Multiple disks
error. I get the feeling that if I repeat building sd0 as the spare,
I'll get the same errors.

Thomas