Subject: Re: Nightmare File Corruptions with 1.6Q - FFS?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/15/2003 07:36:45
On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:46:05AM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Greywolf wrote:
> > That's a pretty lax call; I'd say that anything which affects kernel
> > structures changing AT ALL, let alone on a significant level such as,
> > oh, say, FILE SYSTEM STRUCTURE CHANGES, warrants a kernel indicator.
>
> It does not affect general kernel structures. It affects code
> for one file system, in that fs specific code. Would we bump kernel
> version whenever random filesystem gets improved significantly?
> We did not for LFS, and there is no reason to do for FFS/UFSv2, IMHO.

Apparently not, but we should.  It was my understanding that whenever
kernel APIs or structures change, the letter gets bumped.  IMHO, we
should do it for FFS, we should do it for LFS, heck we should do it for
NTFS, even though only a scant few ever use it!

Be liberal with the letter bumps.  We have plenty of letters, and if we
get into 16AA, 16AB, 16AC... so be it.  It's better to have too many
than to not know when something changes.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin@elfie.org