Subject: Re: how to set gcc3 as default compiler
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/2003 09:19:00
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Greywolf wrote:

> Thus spake Jaka Jejcic ("JJ> ") sometime Today...
>
> JJ> > Can we just take an extracted-patched gcc3 and plop it into place
> JJ> > under /usr/src and build from there (I'm looking and guessing, "uh,
> JJ> > no")?
> JJ>
> JJ> Technicaly we could. The problem is the compiler itself. I don't find it
> JJ> stable enough. I used it for a while but it crashed on many pkgs so I
> JJ> switched back... What's you experiences?
>
> None, yet.  I wanted to see how well I could use it to build the world.
>
> I'd like my "world" to be able to take advantage of "-mtune=pentium3" or
> "-mtune=athlon" (probably the latter).

There's some regression in the latest gcc-3.3 snapshot concerning
mmx (or so I gather from a discussion on the list that's way over my
head). I can't build a working "mplayer" anymore with "-march=k6-2".
It was working a few weeks ago. No such problems (on
NetBSD-1.6.1/i386) with gcc-3.2.2, and I'm even running a kernel built
with COPTS="-O2 march=k6-2" (and DEFWARNINGS="no") by gcc-3_3-branch
from a couple weeks ago. Besides that, the most noticable thing about
the gcc3 compilers is that they take longer to compile anything.

Frederick