Subject: Re: Nightmare File Corruptions with 1.6Q - FFS?
To: Bob Bernstein <rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2003 21:42:20
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:25:37PM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 08:55:45PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>
> > Out of curiousity, what day's 1.6Q?  I'm running 1.6Q from 31 March
> > with no problems.
>
> I have a build of 1.6Q (i386) from cvs source dated April 5th. It's
> been running continuously since then, with a couple of reboots thrown
> in just to see how they would go. (This release is available here:
> http://www.ruptured-duck.com/NetBSD/i386/ if anyone thinks it might be
> of use.)
>
> Also, I must confess that I have had a hard time determining exactly
> what kinds of situations people are running afoul of; can someone boil
> it all down for me: what's the problemo here? Is it just with the new
> fsck binaries (which I have NOT run! <g>), or is it only with mounts
> of ext2 filesystems, or whut?

The first problem I noticed was a newer 1.6Q kernel (I am not sure of the
date) not booting at all. it would boot up, find all its devices, then be
unable to find init. This applies to the last 1.6R I tried, which was the
day before yesterday. I'm wary of trying again until I know the bug is
fixed.

The second problem I noticed was an older 1.6Q kernel, which locked up hard
at one point, when I rebooted, I lost well over a thousand e-mail files and
some other files I never identified because fsck -y didn't seem to bother to
increase the size of lost+found.

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!