Subject: Re: Nightmare File Corruptions with 1.6Q - FFS?
To: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@mac.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2003 19:44:47
On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 06:56:06PM -0400, Joseph Sarkes wrote:

> From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@mac.com>
> Date: Fri Apr 11, 2003  6:53:46 PM US/Eastern
> To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Nightmare File Corruptions with 1.6Q - FFS?
>

> On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 12:03 PM, Caffeinate The World wrote:
>
> >It's been a nightmare after upgrading to 1.6Q.
> >
> >I believe the recent code change to FFS is causing these issues to pop
> >up. I'm seeing file corruptions. When a library gets corrupted, things
> >will fail.
> >
> >I saw these corruptions (was reported to the list) when I tried to make
> >install world. I manually got pass that phase.
> >

> I may have a related problem to this on a macppc running a -current
> kernel
> from yesterday. After a reboot I get can't fsk, run fsk manually due to
> mis-matches
> between the superblock and its backup. fsck can't fix it (my base
> system is from
> an october -current, which I haven't been able to build -current to
> commpletion
> and get stable operation since.

I had 1.6Q trash a few thousand(!) files on /home for me on bootup, it took
running fsck -y a few times to get the system to even come up. Luckily, the
data it took down was backed up.

FFS2 should *NOT* have been put in current until it was made stable, IMHO.
1.6Q right after the FFS2 code went in corrupts files with much enthusiasm,
late 1.6Q and 1.6R can't even find init on this machine (i386). What ever
happened to developing things on branches and fixing at least most of the
bugs before merging? I've been using -current since 1.4ZC, and this is the
worst bug I've seen yet.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII