Subject: Re: Kernel Booting From RAIDFrame
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2003 14:40:43
Caffeinate The World wrote:

> Has anything changed that would allow the kernel to be read directly
> from RAID 1 components on other architectures besides alpha and pmax?

vax supports raid1 booting now, and i386 to a lesser extent.

For i386, I dunno if simply leaving a little space (say 128kB) before
the "a" partition and writing the bootblocks into that gap with
something like:

	/usr/mdec/installboot -b 16 /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rwd0d

would work.

Another option on i386 is to use an LFS root filesystem since LFS can
move the offset of the first data segment with the -O option.  I had a
box running with only LFS filesystems for a while and didn't have any
problems.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/