Subject: Re: alias netmask
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/2003 09:26:49
--- Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm testing freevrrpd on netbsd and I came across the fact that
> FreeBSD
> ALWAYS uses a netmask of /32 on it's alias IP no matter what the real
> netmask is. On NetBSD, I've always used the same netmask as the
> interface's real IP.

I should clarify. I just looked this up in the FreeBSD Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-virtual-hosts.html
---
The calculation of alias netmasks is important, but fortunately quite
simple. For a given interface, there must be one address which
correctly represents the network's netmask. Any other addresses which
fall within this network must have a netmask of all 1s.
---

Thomas