Subject: Vinum in NetBSD: status and questions
To: NetBSD -CURRENT Users <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/2003 17:04:01
--H83aLI5Lttn3Hg7B

I'm currently testing the Vinum/NetBSD code that the Infosys people
sent me.  It's still a bit rough round the edges, but I have got to
the stage where I can build a kernel with Vinum "support" and talk to
the driver.  I currently have a few questions:

1.  vinum(8) has a command-line mode and uses readline for command
    line editing and history.  I can find the headers for readline,
    but I can't find a library.  What's the policy?  Is readline
    deprecated?  I've found editline, but the interface is quite
    different, and I'd prefer to keep things the same.

2.  I see that direct access to bdevsw[] is no longer used.  Instead,
    there's the bdevsw_lookup() function.  In the case of Vinum,
    bdevsw accesses are either to Vinum itself, or to one of the
    drives.  Can I assume that the drive will not lose its bdevsw?  Or
    should I call bdevsw_lookup() for every I/O?

Greg

--H83aLI5Lttn3Hg7B

--H83aLI5Lttn3Hg7B--