Subject: Problems with sdiff (and thus etcupdate)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2003 17:32:00
I'm unable to use etcupdate after upgrading my -current, because of
problems with sdiff.  Seemingly, sdiff does what it's supposed to do,
and so does ed, when called by sdiff, but I still get the error
message "sdiff: subsidiary program `ed' failed".  Another thing is
that scripts using sdiff probably shouldn't allow the environment
variable EDITOR to screw up sdiff's use of 'ed' to edit things.

Quick demo of the problem:

   % cat > foo
   foo
   bar
   baz
   % cat > bar
   foo
   baz
   bar
   % sdiff -o baz foo bar
   foo                                                             foo
   bar                                                           <
   %l
   baz                                                             baz
                                                                 > bar
   %r
   sdiff: subsidiary program `/usr/local/bin/emacs'failed
   %

Hmm.  Right.  Let's allow it to use 'ed', then:

   % unsetenv EDITOR
   % sdiff -o baz foo bar
   foo                                                             foo
   bar                                                           <
   %l
   baz                                                             baz
                                                                 > bar
   %r
   sdiff: subsidiary program `ed' failed
   %

Still no good.  However:

   % cat baz
   foo
   bar
   baz
   bar
   %

It did the right thing, even though it complained.

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no  T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901