Subject: dhclient & hostname interactions
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2003 13:21:38
I have /etc/myname defining my hostname.

but from the behaviours I see moving from cable at home, IETF and office,
dhclient overrides hostname.

sleep mode re-wakeup causes re-calls of dhclient on all interfaces in the live
set. which also seems to make sendmail and related name-bound daemons go barfo.

is this possibly why although I think I have FQDN in my hostname, I find that
at reboot I am getting sendmail hangs "can't find my name" ?

Is there a way to make dhclient respect the wired-in name of the host, but still
do interface (re)configs?

just because a server tells me a name, it doesn't mean I want to use it!

(sent to current, cos I'm a current user)

-George

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm@apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064