Subject: Re: sendmail install from build.sh - no submit.cf
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/2003 09:13:51
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:02:40 -0500 Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> wrote:

> >of> >current, but I notice that my sendmail borked at boot, complaining
> >that the> >/etc/mail/sendmail.cf was for v9.
> >>
> >> did you try /etc/postinstall after you were done building?  that
> >> always helps a lot.
> >
> >doesn't build do that for you? doesn't etcupdate do that for you?
>
> build only builds everything, it doesn't touch /etc.  but you are a
> (-E) expert, so you knew that, right?  ;

yea. I kinda wish it was -I(nplace) instead of
-E(xpertly-smash-the-system-inplace)

> >(shrug) no I didn't do /etc/postinstall. Ok. rate me clueless, but when did
> >that make it into the *documented* "you should do this" phase of a build.sh
> >run? Cos I got pointed at etcupdate, and run that believing 'it fixes
> >things'
>
> i can't speak for etcupdate, since i've never used it.  i think
> (though i'm probably wrong) that it updates things, but doesn't
> necessarily install new things.

It asks you to accept/reject/merge/ignore changed files in the /etc hierarchy
which sounds to me pretty well perfect for this task.

postinstall is run by build.sh for you now. It doesn't fix this problem (but
you know that now anyway)

> >/usr/src/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf;> >make && make install) and it writes
> >to /usr/share/sendmail, not /etc/mail/>
> >> that's correct behavior.  a "make install" will not install files into
> >> /etc, since that has a high probability of overwriting files you are
> >> expected to be able to modify freely.
> >>
> >> have you modified your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file at all, or did you
> >> simply use the one that was originally installed?
> >
> >I modified one by hand many many currents ago.
>
> and is that the one you're still using?

It was, yes. The problem was that it was v9, and pre-dated the change to a
requirement for a split send/receive .cf file. Again, I don't understand how
this only cropped up *now* because I've been doing build.sh for a whiles now.

> >which> >created the submit.mc and cf from the netbsd-msp.mc?
> >>
> >> well...you've found the step.  i suppose you didn't find anything
> >> telling you want to do next though.  where did you look?
> >
> >/usr/src/UPDATING.
>
> yeah, that was mentioned to me by another party.  i'm making something
> up to put in there now.

groovy!

> >> there are two sample submit.cf type files in /usr/share/sendmail/cf:
> >> submit.cf and netbsd-msp.cf.  if you don't see them there, cd to that
> >> directory and make them (ie type "make submit.cf" or "make
> >> netbsd-msp.cf").  copy one to /etc/mail/submit.cf.
> >
> >ummm hows a boy meant to know to do that?
>
> right.   okay point taken.  :)

> >> hmm...never tried that.
> >
> >odd. how come I think its de rigeur?
>
> dunno.  i always used to do /etc updates by hand.  then postinstall
> came along and automated some of it for me, though i still do a chunk
> of it by hand.

I'd run etcupdate a few times to see what it does. It works for me, and lets
me keep my passwd/group/rc.conf stuff while forcing in the new contents of
rc.d and the like.

From reading other peoples mail I can see that if I adopt a submit.cf which
has the localhost binding, I too will cease to hang on my laptop when booting
on a foreign network. So goodness comes from this upgrade process in many ways
and I thank you for it!

cheers
	-George