Subject: Re: sendmail install from build.sh - no submit.cf
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/01/2003 08:57:09
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:30:12 -0500 Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> wrote:

> >I did (cd /usr/src; ./build.sh -E build) and have a foonly fine system of
> >current, but I notice that my sendmail borked at boot, complaining that the
> >/etc/mail/sendmail.cf was for v9.
>
> did you try /etc/postinstall after you were done building?  that
> always helps a lot.

doesn't build do that for you? doesn't etcupdate do that for you?

(shrug) no I didn't do /etc/postinstall. Ok. rate me clueless, but when did
that make it into the *documented* "you should do this" phase of a build.sh
run? Cos I got pointed at etcupdate, and run that believing 'it fixes things'

> >so I did manual stuff to upgrade (cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf;
> >make && make install) and it writes to /usr/share/sendmail, not /etc/mail/
>
> that's correct behavior.  a "make install" will not install files into
> /etc, since that has a high probability of overwriting files you are
> expected to be able to modify freely.
>
> have you modified your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file at all, or did you
> simply use the one that was originally installed?

I modified one by hand many many currents ago.

> >hmm. Have I somehow missed a step in a critical bugfix/patch upgrade which
> >created the submit.mc and cf from the netbsd-msp.mc?
>
> well...you've found the step.  i suppose you didn't find anything
> telling you want to do next though.  where did you look?

/usr/src/UPDATING.

> there are two sample submit.cf type files in /usr/share/sendmail/cf:
> submit.cf and netbsd-msp.cf.  if you don't see them there, cd to that
> directory and make them (ie type "make submit.cf" or "make
> netbsd-msp.cf").  copy one to /etc/mail/submit.cf.

ummm hows a boy meant to know to do that?

> >etcupdate didn't complain either.
>
> hmm...never tried that.

odd. how come I think its de rigeur?

anyways thanks for clues.