Subject: Re: sendmail install from build.sh - no submit.cf
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2003 18:02:40
>> >I did (cd /usr/src; ./build.sh -E build) and have a foonly fine system of
>> >current, but I notice that my sendmail borked at boot, complaining that the
>> >/etc/mail/sendmail.cf was for v9.
>>
>> did you try /etc/postinstall after you were done building?  that
>> always helps a lot.
>
>doesn't build do that for you? doesn't etcupdate do that for you?

build only builds everything, it doesn't touch /etc.  but you are a
(-E) expert, so you knew that, right?  ;-)

>(shrug) no I didn't do /etc/postinstall. Ok. rate me clueless, but when did
>that make it into the *documented* "you should do this" phase of a build.sh
>run? Cos I got pointed at etcupdate, and run that believing 'it fixes things'

i can't speak for etcupdate, since i've never used it.  i think
(though i'm probably wrong) that it updates things, but doesn't
necessarily install new things.

>> >so I did manual stuff to upgrade (cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf;
>> >make && make install) and it writes to /usr/share/sendmail, not /etc/mail/
>>
>> that's correct behavior.  a "make install" will not install files into
>> /etc, since that has a high probability of overwriting files you are
>> expected to be able to modify freely.
>>
>> have you modified your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file at all, or did you
>> simply use the one that was originally installed?
>
>I modified one by hand many many currents ago.

and is that the one you're still using?

>> >hmm. Have I somehow missed a step in a critical bugfix/patch upgrade which
>> >created the submit.mc and cf from the netbsd-msp.mc?
>>
>> well...you've found the step.  i suppose you didn't find anything
>> telling you want to do next though.  where did you look?
>
>/usr/src/UPDATING.

yeah, that was mentioned to me by another party.  i'm making something
up to put in there now.

>> there are two sample submit.cf type files in /usr/share/sendmail/cf:
>> submit.cf and netbsd-msp.cf.  if you don't see them there, cd to that
>> directory and make them (ie type "make submit.cf" or "make
>> netbsd-msp.cf").  copy one to /etc/mail/submit.cf.
>
>ummm hows a boy meant to know to do that?

right.   okay point taken.  :)

>> >etcupdate didn't complain either.
>>
>> hmm...never tried that.
>
>odd. how come I think its de rigeur?

dunno.  i always used to do /etc updates by hand.  then postinstall
came along and automated some of it for me, though i still do a chunk
of it by hand.

>anyways thanks for clues.

thanks for comments.  :)

--