Subject: Re: cardbus card not probing?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/30/2003 00:32:57
In message <200303290442.h2T4grs22744@guild.plethora.net>, you write:

-> In message <200303290442.h2T4gjr18063@fearless-vampire-killer.waterside.net>
-> , R
-> afal Boni writes:
-> >Cardbus is basically PCI in a pcmcia form-factor, so real cardbus cards
-> >probe like PCI devices and unlike 16-bit PCMCIA cards.  It looks like you
-> >have some extra bits being set, so that's problem one, but the real issue
-> >is that there isn't a cardbus driver that matches that card (and since
-> >IIRC that's done via manf./product id's, both of which are 0 here, it
-> >is unlikely something will match that card).
->
-> Except I have code in if_wi_pcmcia that *should* match it, just as an
-> experiment; the problem is that even the basic pcmcia "what is this card"
-> thing isn't happening.  (We do use the CIS strings too, btw.)

Again, cardbus != pcmcia.
Cardbus is really a very PCI-like bus and so you'd need an if_wi_cardbus,
which would look a lot more like if_wi_pci than if_wi_pcmcia.  16-bit PCM-
CIA is much more ISA-like, on the other hard.

Pretty much the only thing the two share is a form factor for the physical
devices (even the connector is slightly different on cardbus devices, as a
result you cannot AFAIR put a Cardbus card into a 16-bit-only PCMCIA slot).

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill