Subject: Re: why separate system and pkg hierarchies? (was: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/2003 20:54:49
--sL6C4NKiX4lxOdwh

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 08:09:51PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> What you're saying is really logically no different than if there were
> also "bsdlpd" package and you want to have it installed in parallel with
> CUPS and LPrng.

But we don't HAVE a packaged system, and we have a real problem of
name space conflicts, which will lead to overwriting on updating the
system.

We also have a graceful fix ALREADY WRITTEN in the mailwrapper
functionality.

Until the Golden Age of syspkg's graces us all, maybe we could use
this as a work-around for programs like sendmail and lpd where real
users of the real NetBSD operating system have a real problem?

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--sL6C4NKiX4lxOdwh