Subject: Re: why separate system and pkg hierarchies? (was:
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2003 21:04:05
At 4:58 PM -0800 3/18/03, Greywolf wrote:
>Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...
>
>GAW> An extremely consistent OS would have all basic tools installed in the
>GAW> root filesystem with at most only purely functional separation into
>GAW> /sbin, /bin, /X11bin and so on (i.e. no /usr).  :-)
>
>That's nice.
>
>We'll be expecting your first release of WoodsBSD (or whatever it
>will be called) sometime in September.

Hmm, it shouldn't take until September. Create woods_change.sh. Have
it change the package $PREFIX to "/" and then move /usr/(s)bin/* to
/(s)bin and /usr/X11R6 to /X11R6. Modify sysinst to call
woods_change.sh after doing an install or upgrade. Presto, WoodsBSD
release 1.0.

>If it were supposed to be that way, it would probably have happened by now.

Hmm, by that logic NetBSD should stop *ALL* development IMMEDIATELY!
If NetBSD were meant to have that feature, it would probably have
happened by now. So all developers, the only thing you're allowed to
work on from now on is supporting newly-existing hardware. :P

I may not agree with everything Greg says, but I respect his
integrity (he sticks to his convictions regardless of the popularity
of them) and his right to have & state his own opinions.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.