Subject: Re: why separate system and pkg hierarchies? (was: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2003 14:40:41
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> I've had troubles in the past with stuff from pkgsrc clobbering base
> system files (texinfo and ncurses come immediately to mind) which make
> it tougher to update the base system, as well as build issues (glimpse
> and spice) which are pain in the asses.

On systems where I updated OpenSSL from /usr/src, other admins have
installed openssl via pkgsrc. And then the vulnerability reports indicate
that old version is vulnerable.

It is not a problem for me (since the package can be removed --
unregistered), but for other admins, it becomes confusing, because they
feel like that have to to keep track of two different things.

> > How does installing a package in a system hierarchy make it more
> > difficult to upgrade your system?
>
> I install base system
> I install ncurses from pkgsrc with LOCALBASE=/usr
> I upgrade base system via existing blessed method (drop a tarball from
>   the root directory).

In that case (as you know), your package system no longer really knows
what is installed.

> how would your LOCALBASE=/usr system handle this situation?
>
> do you have a pkg-ized base system too?

In my own experiences, not related to NetBSD, but completely using NetBSD
pkgsrc for all software, it is usually fine because everything is
registered.

How does Greg (or others) reliably use LOCALBASE=/usr on NetBSD and keep
track?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/